Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Pirate, Princess, Ghost, Jedi, and a School Bus

So here is our official Halloween post. Working in Warden I have been labeled "eccentric," (yes I checked the spelling). So to prove everyone wrong; to prove that I was just as "normal" as everyone else in that damn building, I dressed up for Halloween. I chose a costume that everyone could relate to one way or another. It was a familiar sight that conjures memories of "Good Times!" I think it best to show you what I was, like they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Yes I was a school bus. It was the cheapest costume I have ever worn. I took a wardrobe box from u-haul, and painted it yellow, added some windows, lights, a grill, a few holes for accessibility, pictures for ambiance, and a little mood music (yes my costume had music, and I am not sure I need to say what song I had playing, The wheels on the Bus.) To add to my day, when I got to school, still holding my bags and stuff, several people made comments like, "Hey didn't I just see you in the office," or "Weren't you just in the Library?" I had just walked in the door, so I wasn't sure what they were talking about. I politely said, "No! You're stupid! See the bags, the back door I just walked in? I just got here." I was polite. I drooped off all of my crap and rushed into the gym for my "duty." While patrolling "the yard," a legion of educators dressed in various unprofessional attire, came walking across the gym right towards me. I must admit I did pee my pants a little bit. It was a scary scene. The Monarch of the group stepped through the "Flying V" that formed while crossing the gym. There standing toe to toe with me was my clone! One of the 4th grade teachers decided to dress up as me for Halloween. She was complete with slacks, dress shirt, neck tie, and beard.

Now to the kids, The girls wanted to dress up and wear their costumes all day. I told them no because I didn't want them to ruin them during the day. Megan kept coming to my class at every break she could create and asking "Now, can I put on my costume?" I finally said sure and she ran off to become the little pilfering pirate she is. Her costume was complete with the ear ring, eye patch, sword, and bad breath.

Courtney decided to be ghost phantom thing. She created a little back story to help explain who she was. When she put on the costume she became Ghostmer Ghost. Apparently Ghostmer is a ghost that likes to fly through people. Sometimes when Ghostmer flies through people she penetrates the heart and drinks a little bit of their blood, killing them instantly. Courtney has a very explicit imagination. I was unfortunately unable to get a picture of this ghost. I will have to get the one the in-laws took and post it later.

Hazel, as usual was a princess. I was kinda hoping that would have worn off, or at least lost it's appeal by now. But no, she still runs around telling people her name is "Princess Hazel." She also acts the way she thinks a princess should act; basically that Jenny and My views are inferior and we are the tyrants she can't wait to replace. She decided to be Snow White and really enjoys still putting on the costume, which only helps solidify her royal heritage, at least in her world where we eat rainbows and fart butterflies.

Myles was with out a doubt the coolest. Last Christmas Lila gave Myles a gigantor of a towel with a hand towel sewn on for a hood. Well over this past year using this towel, I came to the conclusion that in this towel, Myles looked like a Jedi. So Jenny went out, bought a gigantor brown towel with matching hand towel and I began to sew with only about 45 minutes til go time. I got Myles hood sewn on, Jenny got his face painted, and we armed him with the Force and a Light Saber. He used the Light Saber more than the force, little punk! When all was said and done, he looked hilarious, Our little Yoda!

Side bar notation that kinda plays a role in the rest of the story, Jenny has been put on bed rest because she has irrigated Jace (our final name for our newest edition) a little too much and now her "Belly" has too much fluid. How does this tie in, well that left me to take the kids "Solo Mio." So we went to Moses to trick-or-treat with Jeremie and family. The kids had a great time. I kinda planned it perfectly. We showed up at about 7:00 and went for about an hour. I had all four kids and wasn't really excited about walking all over creation with Yoda, a blood sucking heart killing phantom ghost, a pilfering pirate, and a princess. The kids did their thing, I tagged along and carried Yoda (I swear I have seen him fly in the freaking movies, but not that night!) With in an hour and a half, people were out of candy, so we went by gma Bruce's, said hello/trick-or-treat, and headed home. In bed by 10:00, "sorting" candy with my diabetic wife by 10:15. Good Times!! That's just how we do things here.

5 comments:

Tom Earl said...

OK! That is the coolest!

Smelly Moose said...

So cute!! Such fun stories. Glad you had a good Halloween. I'm just wondering how Jenny's going to do 'bedrest' with 4 kids. Hmmm...wish I could come help!!!

Mandi said...

Wow, that sounds like a handful! So Jace is our newest nephew then? I like it! Are they thinking she will make it all the way til the due date or what? We so wish we were closer... you know if you found us a job...
The kids looked great, tell Jenni HI for me! We will call soon.

Carter Family said...

I love the pictures. I also love reading your blogs. They are so much fun and just make me laugh. Keep us posted on how Jenny is doing.

mumovearls said...

OK I love the Bus costume! That is fantastic... Can I ask Do you wear a shirt and tie every day to class? HOT Teacher? What's up with that? Jenny love the costumes!-Nena